A second-half strike from Johnny Russell powered Wearing Kansas Town to a 1-Zero house victory Sunday night time over Minnesota United FC, vaulting them atop the Western Convention standings as all sides entered with a blended 13 avid gamers out injured.
Russell’s leap forward got here within the 80th minute on Wearing’s 21st shot of the night time, as he accrued a Graham Zusi lengthy ball after creating a diagonal run from the proper flank. The Scottish winger cushioned down Zusi’s provider and beat Minnesota Dayne St. Clair with an actual end.
Wearing entered halftime with a 15-1 photographs merit, and primary got here closest within the 66th minute when heart again Bakaye Dibassy cleared Russell’s shot off the road. SKC even moved heart mid Gadi Kinda to heart ahead when Khiry Shelton used to be subbed off within the 54th minute, on the lookout for final-third solutions.
Past a number of key accidents, Minnesota began the fit with Robin Lod, Kevin Molino and Emanuel “Bebelo” Reynoso all at the bench. Each and every attacking midfielder entered during the second one 1/2, however the Loons in the end didn’t land any in their six photographs on the right track.
- 80′ – SKC – Johnny Russell | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: First position within the Western Convention used to be at the line, and Wearing rose to the instance through finishing a four-game winless streak. Minnesota have misplaced 4 of six fits since coming back from the MLS is Again Match, and their turned around XI couldn’t muster a shot on the right track. Accidents took their toll on each golf equipment, with celebrity strikers Alan Pulido and Luis Amarilla each significantly absent.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: On an evening when Wearing gave the impression not able to shop for a function, Johnny Russell broke the impasse within the 80th minute. It used to be his 0.33 strike of the 2020 season, and a the most important one at that.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Gerso Fernandes didn’t provide the completion, however Wearing’s left winger used to be electrical all night time in opposition to a shorthanded Minnesota backline. He generated two key passes and incessantly dribbled endline to create probabilities.
- SKC: Saturday, Sept. 19 vs. FC Dallas (3:30 pm ET | Univision, TUDN, Twitter; MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- MIN: Saturday, Sept. 19 at Houston Dynamo (eight pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, on DAZN in Canada)